Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Valentine's Day Tote Tutorial





Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays.  I have no idea why.  I'm not a particularly sappy person.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that my husband has never gotten me anything for Valentine's Day and nor have I him.  I do tend to go all out for the kids though.  I like making treat bags and stuffing them with Dollar Tree goodies.  Making things from scratch is even better.  Now, I realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but Valentine's crafting makes my heart happy.  



Jonah started kindergarten at a new school this year and they have a "no balloons, no flowers" policy for certain occasions, and Valentine's Day just happens to be one of them.  As disillusioned as I was at first, I realize that it's kind of a blessing in disguise.  It also pleases me to know that, because of this policy, fewer kids will feel left out.  I always worried about that.  In fact, this school is amazing about keeping equality in as many ways as possible.  


But anyway, back to my purpose for this post.  I feel the need to personalize things.  I feel the need to make pink and red Valentine's stuff.  I feel it in my bones.  So, I decided to make a tote for Jonah to take his V-Day cards to school.   This way, they all stay together and they look festive.  Let's get started: 


You Will Need

  • Canvas Tote
  • Scrap of fabric
  • Tulle
  • Fabric Glue
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • Sewing Machine (optional)



Directions

Start by laying out your piece of fabric and your canvas tote.  Make sure that your fabric scrap is large enough to cover enough area on your tote.  I never measure these things exactly; I just eyeball it.  

The first step is to make a template for the heart that will be your applique.  I free-handed mine; but here is a template if you are a perfectionist (I wish I were more like you). 








The paper template makes it possible to see exactly what size your heart will be on the tote. I would much rather alter a pattern than risk cutting up my fabric and then not liking the size. Once you are satisfied with the size, turn your fabric with the right sides facing and fold in half.  Do the same with your heart.  This way, you only have to cut half the heart! 







After I cut out my heart, I took my fingernail and ran it along the raw edge of the fabric to fray it.  I wanted more of a shabby look.  This is also beneficial if you don't have perfectly straight or symmetrical sides; it gives you a bit of forgiveness, plus it adds a ruffled edge.  Essentially, you're using your fingernail like scissors when you curl ribbon.






When your heart is frayed to your liking, insert a scrap piece of paper on the inside of your tote; this will keep you from inadvertently gluing the front to the back.  (I just have the heart sitting on top of my tote in this picture; it's not glued down yet) 







Then, add a bead of fabric glue about 1" inward on the wrong side of the fabric and glue your heart to the center of your tote.  I usually take my finger and run it around the glue to spread it out a little. 







To set the glue, I take my iron and gently go over the front of the fabric.  During this step I'm careful to avoid the edges, because I want them to stay fluffy and ruffled.  








Now, this can definitely be the end of the project!  The fabric glue will hold the heart decently; although it is not permanent.  I chose to cement mine in place by using my machine to stitch along the inside of the heart.  If you plan on doing this, make sure you don't sew the front to the back of the tote (I may have done this...twice).  It's kind of a pain to get around those curves, but your heart will definitely stay in place.  

Be thankful you can't see the degree of side eye I was giving this bag here.  







After your heart is securely in place, it's time to add the finishing touches!  I made a red, pink, and white pom pom from tulle as an accent for mine.  (To see how I made the pom poms, click here). Then I just tied it to the handle.  Voila!  Valentine's tote bag!  






Stuffing it with candy! 








Good luck with your bags and Happy Valentine's Day! 
xo, Karee


No comments:

Post a Comment