Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Satin Flower Tutorial









Today I made my personal mission to pick out a style of corsage for my baby shower.  I'm a tried and true DIY-er, so I plan on making almost everything for the shower.  Though I'm not necessarily a stickler for tradition, there are some classic elements l'd like to incorporate at our little baby party.  This is honestly the first major event that Josh and I have had since we've been together (no wedding shower, no bachelorette party, no wedding, no honeymoon, no housewarming party) so we decided that we were overdue to go all out on an event celebrating our family.   Back to my original point: I was trying to figure out a style of corsage today.  Even though I'm throwing my own shower, I still have two wonderful friends who are helping me put things together, so I wanted to do something special for them.  I also wanted the grandmothers to feel included in the baby festivities.  So, I decided that making us all matching corsages in my shower colors would be appropriate.  


Corsages are a baby shower staple in many southern settings.   I think they add a bit of rustic and traditional elegance, especially with my modern aqua and orange color scheme. Plus, I really fell in love with the glitziness of my sister's sweet pink baby shower and I have a need to add girly flair to my second boy baby shower.  

So, today I scoured the Google Image web for various styles of baby shower corsages and settled on attempting to make satin flowers.  The first step is making the flower, right?  Gotta start at ground zero.  These were surprisingly easy for as elegant as they look.  This tutorial is just to show how to make a basic satin flower, which you can either use to fashion a corsage or anything else of your choice that needs a little feminine flair.  

*These took me just a few minutes each after I got into a rhythm*

You Will Need

  • Scrap of Satin
  • Lighter
  • Needle and Thread
  • Scissors
  • Pearl, Rhinestone, or other embellishment (for center)
  • Hot Glue Gun

Directions




Basically, you just jump right in the middle of this project.  Start cutting circles  out of your satin.  The more imperfect they are, the better they will look.  I cut a range of sizes; some were more circular, some were oval.   I ended up with 6-7 layers per flower.  You may need to trim them up to vary the depth in your flower so create a little pile of circles to see how they lay together.

See how imperfect mine are?  This is about my seventh flower, so I had figured out by this time that they looked better being less symmetrical.   








After you have your circles arranged to your liking, take your lighter and carefully melt the edges of your circles.  They have a natural tendency to curl inward and create a very organic shape.  Please be careful when you do this.  Your lighter will get very hot after a short amount of time; that's why I have two in the picture.  







It's a good idea to work from biggest to smallest and stack them as you burn the edges, that way you can see if you need to burn longer to decrease the overall circumference of the circles as you stack.  








If you're not a sewer, you can glue your flower's layers together to secure it.  I prefer the security of stitches, so I whip-stitched my flower a couple of times to adhere the layers.  








The last step is using your embellishment to create a center.  I used a simple white pearl I had in my bead stash and hot glued it to the center of the flower.  







They look kind of like cucumbers when they're all together. 






Now, it's up to you to decide how you'll use this darling little embellishment!   I stitched one to a piece of ribbon I had just to see how it would do as a corsage (in the proper colors obviously), but I really liked the elegant simplicity of the satin, pearl, and grosgrain bow. 







Or you could back your flower with a fluff of tulle and attach a clip for a little princess you love! I think this style of hair clip would be just beautiful for dressier occasions like weddings, Easter service, or holiday parties.  How are you using your satin flowers? 






Can't wait to see what you'll come up with! 
xo, Karee

No comments:

Post a Comment