Thursday, February 19, 2015

DIY Fabric Yarn







I spend entirely too much time on Pinterest.  I love it.  It's a sickness.  So, when my friend Sara pinned this little gem yesterday, I was instantly smitten and knew I had to try it. Essentially, this project is a way to recycle your old fabric scraps into awesome yarn!  Then you can use it for a variety of things.  But it is an excellent way to use up small fabric leftovers or to make your own yarn for crocheting/knitting (if you can do either of these well, I'm completely jealous).  This project will take awhile if you're planning on making a long piece of yarn.  I watched two episodes of Parenthood last night while making the spool that you'll see below.  However, the small pieces that I rolled to make the rosettes and the bracelet only took about 5 minutes each.  




You Will Need

  • Scrap Fabric! Yes, that's it!!!!! Holla! 

Directions

The first thing you will want to do is collect some strips of fabric.  Most of mine were thinner than 1" in width and they were much easier to wind/roll than the thicker pieces.  The lengths vary, but you'll want to make sure that you start out with two pieces of fabric that are different lengths.  The reason for this is because when you add in more fabric to lengthen your yarn, you want the new pieces to join in different spots; it makes your yarn much stronger.  


So, take your initial two pieces of fabric and tie them together in a knot. 






Now take your back piece of yarn (in my case the green piece) and twist/roll it away from you. 






Then pull the green piece over the top toward you.  This will begin your rope.  Then start twisting the next piece away from you and repeat! This is the entire process.  After a few repetitions, your yarn rope will start to take shape. 






Here is a (subpar) video of the rolling process. 










And this is another subpar video of how to add another piece of fabric to make your rope longer! 








To secure the end, I just tied it like we did in the beginning. This project is far more about finding the rhythm than learning a technique.    I think you could make some adorable projects with this DIY yarn.  Here is what I used mine for: 



Super cute summery bracelets! 





 Add an alligator clip for a boutique-style hair bow! 
(On the smaller rosette, I used a strand of fabric + a strand of yarn)




But this was my favorite: just looking at it wrapped on a spool all bright and cheerful! 







Have fun with this awesome springy project!  
xo, Karee




Here is the original link to the tutorial my friend posted on Pinterest:  http://makezine.com/craft/how-to-make-scrap-fabric-twine/






No comments:

Post a Comment